Christmas and New Year are ideal times for getting away with family and friends. From spectacular Christmas lights to winter festivals, craft shows and a huge range of family friendly events, why not indulge yourselves and celebrate Christmas in Cornwall this year?
We have a range of individually designed, superbly equipped cottages which sleep between 4-12 people. Each year, we decorate them ready for the festive season – leaving you free to focus on making the most of your time together.
Top 10 tips for how to make the most of a family Christmas in Cornwall
- Remember you don’t have to do everything together – plan for some time together as well as time apart.
- Rediscover classic board games like Cluedo and Monopoly, family favourites like charades and ‘Who am I’. Choose a mix of games the whole family can get involved in as well as some for adults or kids only. Don’t forget about traditional party games too!
- There’s plenty to do indoors at Bosinver, so don’t worry if the weather’s not perfect. We’ve got a baking box you can borrow with all the kit you’ll need to get creative in the kitchen with the kids. And don’t forget to bring your cozzie! Our heated indoor swimming pool is ideal for an afternoon splash with the kids.
- Plan a treasure hunt or scavenger hunt that everyone can join in with.
- Bring some of your favourite DVDs and an iPod with music.
- Come prepared so you can make the most of the outdoors – wellies, waterproofs, hats and gloves are a must in December when the weather can be changeable.
- Gather a few ideas for things to see and do in Cornwall in advance – take a look at the Things to do section on our website and our blog for a few ideas to get you started.
- Many attractions run special activities for families over the Christmas holidays. At Trelissick Garden you can meet reindeer, try out some Christmas crafts and walk through the illuminated gardens after dark. Head to the Eden Project between 25 November 2016 – 2 January 2017 and go skating on the magical winter wonderland ice rink, say hello to Father Christmas and listen to live storytelling. Or how about a trip on a steam train and an opportunity to meet Santa with Bodmin and Wenford Railway? They’re running atmospheric ‘Santa by Steam’ trips from 3 December up until Christmas Eve.
- Book dinner reservations in advance – many places get booked up early. Our local, the Polgooth Inn, is 15 minute walk (or a short drive/taxi ride). They’ve got a huge menu using locally sourced produce and come highly recommended by all our guests!
- If you’re staying over Christmas, don’t forget your stocking! Father Christmas will know where to find you.
We still have a few cottages left for Christmas and New Year, but they’re booking up fast, so you’ll have to be quick!
Alternatively, if you fancy a pre-Christmas break, there’s plenty going on in Cornwall throughout December, including a range of Christmas markets and festivals.
And while we can’t guarantee a white Christmas, a festive break in Cornwall is likely to be one you’ll remember for years to come.